Cookies are small text files, placed on your hard disk by a web page server. They are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you.
We will use encrypted information gathered from the cookies to improve your online experience with Arnold Clark Vehicle Management.
Some of the cookies we use will expire after you close the browser window. These are called session cookies. Some cookies last longer than this, because they are used to identify return visits to the website. Please note that cookies do not harm your computer or any software you may have.
What cookies we use and why
Types of cookies:
- Session cookies are deleted when you leave our websites. They help keep track of your progress so you don't have to enter the same information more than once.
- Persistent cookies stay on your device after your browsing session has ended. They will remember settings, preferences and details for the next time you use the websites.
- First party cookies are set by the website owner, i.e. Arnold Clark.
- Third party cookies are set by other parties, such as Google and Twitter.
- Necessary cookies are required for the operation of our website.
- Performance or analytical cookies allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, for example, remember your preferences (for example, your postcode in Find a Dealer search).
This section is a table which explains why we use certain cookies and what they do.
If you accept the additional cookies to run during your session we may then collect information about your computer in the form of server logs, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions. Disabling cookies ensures that your IP address will not be recorded.
We recommend that you accept cookies, as we use them to:
- Customise elements of our website’s layout and content, and test different designs of our websites to improve your experience.
- Recognise when a user has visited before, meaning we can see how many unique visits we receive. We can then make sure the websites are easy to use and have enough capacity.
- Remember your preferences and settings, such as text size and language.
- Recognise your device so you don't have to provide the same information during your visit, or on subsequent visits.
- Help us identify errors and resolve them effectively.
- Establish what information is relevant to you while you are browsing our websites.
- Collect statistical, anonymous information about how our visitors use/interact with our digital services so we can improve them.
- Learn which parts of our websites are most popular and improve them.
- See how effective our online messages are.
Our website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
The Website may offer you the opportunity to share or follow information about us (or the website or our services) using third party social networking functionality (such as through "share this", "like" or "follow" buttons).
We offer this functionality in order to generate interest in us, the website and our services among the members of your social networks, and to permit you to share and follow opinions, news and recommendations about us with your friends. However, you should be aware that sharing personal or non-personal information with a social network may result in that information being collected by the social network provider or result in that information being made publicly-available, including through Internet search engines.
Changes to our Privacy & Cookies Policy
Any changes we may make to our privacy & cookies policy in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail.
This policy was last updated: 23rd March 2018.