Back to news

Crit'Air stickers now required when driving in France

New French laws require all drivers to display an air-quality certificate on their windscreen.

France has introduced new laws that require vehicles to display their emission levels on a sticker while driving in some of the major cities. These air-quality certificates, also known as Crit’ Air vignettes, are used to denote vehicle emission levels. They come in six colour-coded categories based on European emissions standards with the cleanest vehicles gaining a green sticker and the most polluting vehicles designated in grey.

Why have these stickers been introduced?

The certificates have been introduced in order to improve the air quality in major cities. On days when cities are at risk of reaching their Euro emissions limits, restrictions will be imposed and the cars with the highest emissions will be denied access to the city.

Where in this law in effect?

The law currently applies in the French cities of Paris, Lyon and Grenoble, although this is likely to be expanded in the future. This has been enforced since 31st March 2017.

Does this apply to all vehicles?

Vehicles including cars, motorcycles, HGVs, buses, coaches and commercial vehicles must display the stickers. Agricultural vehicles and construction machinery are exempt.

Older cars that can’t be measured using modern emissions standards will not be eligible to purchase the Crit’ Air stickers and will be denied entry during any restricted periods.

What is the cost?

The price of the stickers has been set at 4.80 Euros including postage. Drivers who do not display the stickers, or who display fraudulent stickers, will be subject to on-the-spot fines of up to 135 Euros.

How to apply for a Crit’ Air sticker?

While many sites are now offering the stickers, it is strongly recommended to buy only from the official Crit’Air website. An English language version of the site is available to guide you through the process. As well as entering details of your vehicle, you will need attach a scan of your V5C vehicle log book which displays information about your vehicle’s emissions. Attached files must be below 400kb.

The certificate should arrive within 30 days, so make sure you are prepared well in advance of your trip.

If you are planning to take your lease vehicle abroad, please call our Fleet Administration team on 0141 332 2626 at least 14 days before you are due to travel. We will provide you with a Letter of Authority to take your vehicle to Continental Europe, along with a VE103b Form.

Return to news