Back to news

Taking your vehicle abroad this summer – what you need to know

Everything you need to know about taking your contract hire vehicle abroad this summer.

Summer is here and with it comes school breaks and the chance to take a well-deserved holiday to experience a new place. Many will choose the scenic route and drive to their chosen destination. While driving abroad provides plenty of challenges, there are few things that you need to know if you’re planning on taking your leased car overseas.

Can I take my leased car abroad?

It shouldn’t be a problem, but you have to inform your lease provider and get permission before taking your car abroad. This should be done at least two weeks in advance of your trip. If you are an ACVM customer, contact our fleet administration team with the following information and we’ll help you on your way:

  • Departure and return dates
  • The countries you’ll be visiting or travelling through
  • Names of up to two additional drivers

We’ll provide a letter of authority and Vehicle on Hire certificate, also known as a VE103B form. This form is the leasing equivalent of a V5C registration certificate and must be carried at all times when driving your leased car abroad. Find out more about Vehicle Hire Certificates

What documentation will I need?

You may be asked for your travel documents at any time so it’s important to know exactly what you’ll need. As well as the Vehicle on Hire Certificate and letter of authority, you should also carry:

  • A valid UK driving licence
  • Fully comprehensive motor insurance certificate
  • Passports for you and your passengers
  • Breakdown and repatriation policy

Even if you’re driving a company car, it is solely your responsibility to ensure that you have the required documentation to meet the legal requirements of the countries you visit or travel through.

Are there any restrictions on vehicles?

France has recently introduced a system that requires drivers to display air-quality stickers on your windscreen. These will clearly show the emission level of your car, and on days when cities are close to reaching Euro emissions limits, certain cars will be denied access. Find out how to apply for your sticker here.

What countries can I visit with my contract hire car?

You can take your lease vehicle to any member country in the European Union, as long as the vehicle is fully insured, you have obtained permission and have the appropriate paperwork. A list of European Union member states is available here.

We recommend that you talk to your insurance provider to make sure your policy provides adequate cover for driving abroad. Some insurers ask to be notified when you take your car abroad, while others do not provide the same level of cover for driving in other countries.

Get more touring tips

The AA has compiled an excellent country-by-country guide which shares valuable local knowledge for more than 40 countries. You can find out more about local traffic laws, what kind of equipment you’ll need and speed restrictions. It’s well worth a look before starting your journey.

Return to news